Clear all

R75/5 No Current

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
William Disbrow
(@13799)
Topic starter

I have a 75/5 with an EnduraLast Alternator and Electronic Ignition. It also has a replacement Starter Relay and Rocky Point Ignition Switch. It was a complete rebuild, ran great, but has been sitting. It was started 9 months ago. I have put a new battery in, turn the key and get nothing. I have tested the new battery voltage and now I am trying to track down my problem with a test light. I am getting no current at the red wire connection to the key switch, which I thought should be the first place to check. I am assuming I have a ground wire loose, but cant seem to find. I am also questioning whether the starter relay is wired correctly. It has a position for a direct connect to the battery, but I don't believe this is how I originally had it set up. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Posted : 07/22/2018 00:22
Richard W
(@wobbly)

You should be chasing this issue with a "test light", which is an ice pick looking device with a single wire coming out of it. You should clip the single wire to an aluminum engine fin (which should be an excellent source of "ground"). Now, any time the probe finds battery "power", the lamp inside the probe will light up.

Start at the Positive battery terminal and work toward the ignition switch in a slow, consistent, and METHODICAL way. Let the the bike's schematic be your tour guide.

• First point is the Pos battery terminal itself. If there is nothing there, then the fault may be with the Neg "ground" cable to the engine.
• Second point is the terminal that connects to the Pos battery post. (Is the power actually making it across the mechanical connection ?)
• Sometimes wise people install a system fuse in this area. You must search between the battery and the starter relay for a fuse holder added to the RED wire. If you find one, probe both sides of the fuse. It may simply be a blown fuse you were unaware existed.
• Next probe the RED wire coming to the starter relay.
• Next probe the RED wire leaving the relay for the ignition switch. (The relay may be bad internally ??)
• Next probe the RED wire at the ignition switch.
• Finally, probe the switch terminal the RED wire is connected to.

Slow, logical and methodical.

I have tested the new battery voltage and now I am trying to track down my problem with a test light. I am getting no current at the red wire connection to the key switch, which I thought should be the first place to check. I am assuming I have a ground wire loose, but cant seem to find. I am also questioning whether the starter relay is wired correctly.

Allow me to point out (with no intent of malice) that the work so far has not been less than systematic. Power (on a non-running machine) starts at the battery, makes a loop, or "circuit". DC power is very methodical in the way it travels this circuit, and if you are methodical in your search you will find the break.

Secondly, the terminals on the starter relay are numbered. You don't have to "question" that at all. Simply compare the numbers on the schematic with the numbers on the device. Think of it as "paint by number" for adults. 😛

You can do this.

Regards

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/23/2018 21:48

Advertisement

Scroll to top