Stored '83 R100 RS needs some restorative TLC

140 Posts
8 Users
9 Likes
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hey folks, looks like an '83 RS is headed for my stable. I've been wanting one of these for awhile. 

According to the owner it has been in storage and not ridden in 7 or 8 years. The tank has been refilled a couple of time with Stabil so it should be good. 

He says the carbs have been overflowing so they need some love. Sounds like everything else is in decent shape so might be close to kicking over and being able to run. 

I have yet to play with airhead carbs, can someone please put me onto what information I need to get the carbs back to runnable? 

Thanks

Posted : 01/27/2023 16:26
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Hi, Mike !

Thoughts....

• Start here... 

https://www.airheads.org/community/wrenching/new-owner-primer-tips-to-get-your-airhead-back-on-the-road/  

According to the owner it has been in storage and not ridden in 7 or 8 years. The tank has been refilled a couple of time with Stabil so it should be good. 

• That is a VERY, VERY BAD assumption. Modern gasoline is your VERY worst enemy. Let me get this straight.... So instead of draining the RS tank into your car and then buying $1 worth of fresh fuel, You'd prefer to "beat your head against a wall" and trust the seller's hazy recollection.

I know all about Stabil. It's a good product, but it's not a forever solution. Eventually the fuel itself has to be replaced. 

He says the carbs have been overflowing so they need some love. Sounds like everything else is in decent shape so might be close to kicking over and being able to run. 

• Hate to say, but that's pure fantasy. Let's just assume the PO has already replaced the plug wires and all the rubber parts in the carbs that Ethanol fuel rots out, and it cranks ! That may make it "Go!", but what about stopping ?? You have hydraulic brakes front and rear. DOT4 fluid needs replacing every 2 years (BMW says every year), so your reservoirs probably look like a science experiment gone way out of control by now.

My friend, I sincerely wish you the best, but you have some serious hours in the shop ahead of you to get this thing running AND safe to ride

I have yet to play with airhead carbs, can someone please put me onto what information I need to get the carbs back to runnable?

• I suggest you go to your local Air Marshal's next "Tech Day", OR buy a shop manual and start reading, OR both. The Bings are not difficult and the big issues are highlighted in the previously referenced article. 

This post was modified 1 year ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 01/27/2023 16:59
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Ok I hear you, we're in Canada and late to the ethanol game so this bike may not have ever seen any so that's a good thing. Hopefully next month I'm getting over there to get a look at it in person. I will have a look at the brakes and everything else while I'm at it. The pics I've seen it looks decent. I'm not afraid of a little TLC and it's coming for a very decent price so a few $$ of service are no issue.

Posted : 01/28/2023 09:52
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Not trying to scare you, because "generally speaking" these bikes age much better than most. Simply trying to alert you that there are items (mostly fluids) that are out of sight, and therefore generally also out of mind. Nothing ruins a first ride like gathering a big handful of front brake... and having nothing happen. 

All the best 

Posted : 01/29/2023 06:38
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Now looking at just shipping it home where I can go through it all with a fine toothed comb and be good to go.

Posted : 02/03/2023 05:36
Richard W
(@wobbly)

• I have used a trucking company called Forward Air. You go to their warehouse. They supply a sealed metal box with motorcycle trailer-like wheel guides and tie-down points. Both ends open. You roll the bike in, tie it down with your tie-down straps. Then pile in any additional boxes of parts, clothing, helmets... whatever is included with the bike. Then use your locks to padlock the container closed at both ends. Then you mail the keys to the other guy. It's a good closed container system if the bike comes with "extras". 

• I have also used a trucking company called Keyboard Motorcycle Shipping (270-737-5797). Unbelievably, all they ship is grand pianos and motorcycles ! They send an 18-wheeler to your house. They roll the bike onto a special open dolly that has wheel guides and tie down points, and attach the bike. Then they use a hydraulic lift on their trailer to lift the bike/dolly onto their truck. I shipped an RT from GA to NJ and it arrived without a scratch, even though the RT fairing looked too wide for the dolly. Then about a week later the truck showed up at my buyer's house and they reversed the process. 

Hope this helps.

Posted : 02/03/2023 08:41
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I live in Newfoundland, we don't have access to those companies for any kind of reasonable cost. I'm casting out for options. The first transport company I talked to wanted $1K! Nope, I'll figure something else out. Thankfully the seller has offered to hold onto it until spring so I can get it sorted. 

Posted : 02/03/2023 14:55
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Sometimes buying a far-away bike can be fun.

I once bought a bike in Rhode Island and rode it home to Georgia. I shipped a box of tools and riding gear to the seller, then a week later took a $99 one-way ticket to Providence. The seller picked me up at the airport and I took off. Rode the full-length of both the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. It was 1280 miles home and my 4 -day vacation was a BLAST !! 

This post was modified 1 year ago by Richard W

Posted : 02/04/2023 06:34
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Sure I'd love to do a fly and ride but not really an option as I know the minimum is that the carbs need to be rebuilt. One thought is the odd chance I get a job in NS as I did 2 years ago where I can keep the bike over there and can work on it and have a daily driver. But my guess is I'll find transport first and get it shipped home. One of my first questions is if it will go into the basement. I need to check the height of the fairing, width should be fine. My guess is if my 640A fits then this should too. It will be nice to have a decent place to work on it. 

Posted : 02/05/2023 08:25
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Fuel prices are driving shipping prices way up, now $250 more than it would have been to ship only from Dartmouth to St. John's. Now looking at $750.

Posted : 02/07/2023 16:02
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @16813

Sure I'd love to do a fly and ride but not really an option as I know the minimum is that the carbs need to be rebuilt

• You're talking about a trip that's only 870 miles... and a lot of that 21-hour trip is a several hour ferry ride allowing you to sleep and/or wrench on the bike. 

• "Carb issues" means you take a round toothpick with you to clean the needle and main jets, 2 replacement slow-speed jets, and a screwdriver to swap them out. A medium screwdriver to set the Pilot screws, and a small piece of mechanic's wire to clean the Enrichener passageway in the bottom of the fuel bowl. And a bottle of Star-Tron fuel additive. 

• 2 new sparkplugs, a sparkplug wrench and a new battery. 

What are you waiting on ?

Posted : 02/08/2023 06:41
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'm going to have it shipped to get it home months before I could ride. My tax return will pay for it! I just need to measure the height of the fairing to make sure it will go in the basement. I can't imagine it's taller than my 640 Adventure which rolls in just fine. I have to know ahead of time as it's 5 steps down and I'm pretty sure I own't be backing it up if it won't go. 😜 

Posted : 02/10/2023 15:27
Richard W
(@wobbly)

As always, good luck on your efforts.

Please let us know how we can help you get it back on the road.

Posted : 02/12/2023 16:45
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I went to see it yesterday and a few little taps on the float bowls solved the fuel leak. It pretty much fired right up and sounded good. I got to ride it 3 feet back into the shed. I felt the brakes and they felt fine. If it had been a sensible season I probably would have ridden it home! It's getting shipped in about 2 weeks. 

I will definitely be asking a few questions to the smart folks on here once I get it home. I did have a look in the gas tank and it looked really good except for a small patch where the paint had peeled a little. I'll try to post a pic and ask any opinions on a repair if needed. I was pleased the tool kit and even the pump are still on it. The owner tells me it's all original which is nice. Definitely not a show queen but that's not what I wanted anyway, my plan it to put this back to being a solid runner for every day fun and forcing the missus to go on camping trips with me. 😜 

https://skibum69.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Farkling/i-7p9P3pt/A

https://skibum69.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Farkling/i-hC5QgTV/A

Posted : 02/14/2023 18:57
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Great looking bike. I would have bought that one too !!

Posted : 02/15/2023 05:40
Page 1 / 10

Advertisement

Scroll to top