Stored '83 R100 RS needs some restorative TLC

140 Posts
8 Users
9 Likes
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'll take a stab at it when I'm back in town and can get to it.

Posted : 09/30/2023 15:12
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

My brakes were seizing up again so I drained the master cylinder and sure enough you could see some crap in there. I cleaned it out again and went poking around and trying to put tiny wire into the ports it wasn't opening up. I got some canned air and gave it a hit with that. Blowing on a tube back through where the banjo bolt gave me some flow through. A quick bleed and good to go.

Posted : 10/06/2023 07:23
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Well it's running pretty well. I know my carb rebuild wasn't perfect but it's ok. Still fun to run around on. Out the other day for what might be the last half warm day of the season. 

Posted : 11/20/2023 06:30
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @16813

My brakes were seizing up again so I drained the master cylinder and sure enough you could see some crap in there. I cleaned it out again and went poking around and trying to put tiny wire into the ports it wasn't opening up. I got some canned air and gave it a hit with that. Blowing on a tube back through where the banjo bolt gave me some flow through. A quick bleed and good to go.

Yes, the max life on DOT4 brake fluid is 5 years, or crud starts to appear. This is why BMW recommends replacing your DOT4 every year. A lot of owners skip this necessary maintenance because 1) it's a pain, and 2) DOT4 is corrosive and an easy way to spoil a nice paint job. 

Owing to the way BMW brake hoses are routed, they can trap a lot of air. I always had better luck pushing new fluid in from the caliper end. But we all use the tools we have.

► Due to the highly corrosive nature of the fluid, I really recommend dousing the entire bike in HOT soapy water to make sure all the DOT4 got removed.

► Just for your personal education, here's some suggested reading...

https://www.airheads.org/community/parts-is-parts/brake-hose-failure-causes-cures/#post-6217

Hope this helps.

This post was modified 5 months ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/20/2023 08:47
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Richard. I'm sure the old fluid had been in there for many years.

Posted : 11/22/2023 06:07
Page 10 / 10

Advertisement

Scroll to top