1991 R100RT - rear shock

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Craig Willson
(@humble-bub)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I welcome suggestions / recommendations. OEM is way past it best before date. I am not an aggressive rider, I never have a passenger and never carry camping gear etc. I am aware of the positive reviews of Wilbers products but would prefer something more modest in cost.

Thanks
Craig

Posted : 07/23/2020 08:13
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I've always had very good results with Hagon Shocks. They typically sell direct resulting in a price several hundred dollars lower than anyone else. They have apparently closed their US offices, but now ship directly from Great Britain. I'm on my third or forth set of dual shocks, but I have never tried their single-sided. That is to say, I've installed them on 3 or 4 bikes... all with excellent results.

http://hagonshocksusa.com/HagMono.htm

The one single-sided bike I owned had an Ikon Shock (the old Koni brand). The one issue I had with a spring was not handled very well by CS, but it was still a good shock.

https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/23/2020 08:40
Craig Willson
(@humble-bub)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you. I had not considered either brand - and should have.
Craig

Posted : 07/23/2020 09:59
Richard W
(@wobbly)

What Scot says is true. My brother had purchased 2 sets of Wilbur shocks from Ted Porter and has been extremely satisfied.

Posted : 07/23/2020 20:46
Craig Willson
(@humble-bub)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Ted was very helpful. We exchanged emails and his latest comments follow. Like most things, it comes down to what do we want to spend.
Craig

From Ted Porter...

The YSS shock is a lot of bang for the buck. You get a Euro designed upside down nitrogen shock with a wide range of rebound damping adjustment and spring preload adjust, which is fully rebuildable and has a two year warranty, all for $389.00. At that low price it is not a custom built shock like you would get from Wilbers or TFX for example, but of course you would spend far more for custom (TFX is $599.00, Wilbers is $659.00) so it will come down to budget. If the YSS price fits your budget best, the customer feedback has been excellent. If you would prefer a Euro built custom shock with a five year warranty, the other two brands are more up your alley.

Posted : 07/27/2020 06:53
Craig Willson
(@humble-bub)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I will close off this thread with my decision and observation. Ted Porter was very helpful and a super nice guy. I decided on the YSS and Ted shipped quickly. With Covid mail delays it took a while but it arrived. With a helper it took an hour to swap out the old and install the new. Fit and finish is perfect. After shipping and currency exchange the cost to my door was $622 Canadian. 

The first ride confirmed this was a good decision. All harshness is eliminated and the 'wandering' on road imperfections is gone. Ted does a basic setup from data the buyer sends and the only change I made was to lessen the preload a few clicks. 

I am a happy customer and pleased with the outcome. Thanks to all. 

Craig

Posted : 09/13/2020 03:16
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I knew you'd be happy with Ted, no matter what shock he sold you.

?

Posted : 09/15/2020 16:15

Advertisement

Scroll to top