'77 R75/7: Build/Restoration Thread

17 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Mario Reznik
(@odontologist)
Topic starter

From another and recent thread I've been following: 

"• No, my bad on the 24V VR, it needs to be 12V. I simply rushed over to Ebay and copied the link to the cheapest Bosch-type VR to make my point. But since you have an Odyssey AGM battery, you wouldn't want even the 12V version of that."

So after reading this and wanting to upgrade my voltage regulator, I jumped on Ebay and bought one. It's coming from the US because I took the recommendation seriously. Should I have known better? Yes. But not because of the technical aspects of such a part and its suitability, but the social implications of the person making the recommendation. 

I'm not concerned about the $30 odd that the item cost me. More concerning is that there seems to be mainly only one member that answers queries and comments on posts. There appears to be a lack of community and a diversity of opinions that follow, which is a problem, because the error made by this poster may have been picked up by others if there was any sort of engagement by the more experienced, or anyone, on this site.

Since there is not, then would a moderator please cancel my account and remove me from the list.

Cheers.

Posted : 10/21/2020 16:12
andrew murphy
(@murphyam53)
Eminent Member

@odontologist

Mario,

Richard Whatley, aka Wobbley, is a moderator of this forum and a highly respected voice in the airhead community. His advice for new owners trying to resurrect a neglected airhead can be considered a gold standard. He is always available for consultation through this forum. Trust him.  

Any public forum like this can suffer from members offering questionable advice. Many members will just 'lurk' and let others do the heavy lifting of answering questions and truly working with new members in your situation. My personal area of expertise is electrical troubleshooting and repair. I will quickly reply to questions where my knowledge and experience can help. 

Don't give up on this forum. Other BMW forums are more narrowly focused like the adventure bike riders, or broadly focused like the airheads@lists.micapeak.com, where the correct pinstriping on gas tanks has been the hot topic for a week. This forum hits the sweet spot: get them running, keep them running, ride them.

Andy

ABC# 15601

1995 R100RT

Posted : 10/22/2020 08:25
Page 2 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top