Clunking front end - '81 R100RS

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I rebuilt the front end. Redid the steering head bearings. Put in shims from Tom Cutter. Refreshed the oil in the forks. Really did it up and I still get a lot of clunking over rough pavement.

I had this same problem with my R90/6 that was totally fixed when I replaced a missing (disintegrated) bumper. I thought I could fix the R100RS with the shims and a rebuild. Frustrating

It's a bit confusing what should really be in there - since it's 1981. I look at the Haynes and it shows two small springs that where not there when I rebuilt. Guess I have to pull it apart again.

Question: How to tell what should be there? I feel I might be missing something
Question: There's something called an emulator that might be an upgrade
Question: I don't think so, but might it be something else clunking? Doesn't really sound like the RS fairing
Question: Can I just pull the bottom fork (not the stantions) to investigate once again?

Hey thanks!

Posted : 07/17/2019 19:57
John Marshall
(@newzhack)
Eminent Member

I am just a lowly Airmarshal from Oklahoma but all my Airheads clunk. I think it is normal. It would be nice to find a fix for that.

Posted : 07/20/2019 16:46
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

You might be right! I've spent time on 5 airheads, some clunk, some don't.

I've had an R90/6 for 10 years. Clunked a lot until I found one of two bumpers completely disintegrated. Fresh bumpers, fresh fluid, progressive shocks and no clunk. Interestingly, the /6 is steady as a rock. Seems the faster you go the steadier it gets. But the /6 is pretty different inside the front forks.

My R100RS clunks, even after the shim kit. But resently, I spent some time on my friends R100RS, earlier model '77 I think, way fewer miles, just as difficult to ride (narrow bars, long reach...) but no clunk. Also, a bit more steady and planted at speed. I mostly feel a bit of front to back rocking on my '81 RS.

So I could just live with it. I don't think it is dangerous, just distracting on our crappy New England roads. This winter I should take it apart once more. It's got to be the forks, bumpers, springs, shims... something like that.

thanks

Posted : 07/21/2019 18:08
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I've had an R90/6 for 10 years. Clunked a lot until I found one of two bumpers completely disintegrated. Fresh bumpers, fresh fluid, progressive shocks and no clunk. Interestingly, the /6 is steady as a rock. Seems the faster you go the steadier it gets. But the /6 is pretty different inside the front forks.

My R100RS clunks, even after the shim kit. But resently, I spent some time on my friends R100RS, earlier model '77 I think, way fewer miles, just as difficult to ride (narrow bars, long reach...) but no clunk. Also, a bit more steady and planted at speed. I mostly feel a bit of front to back rocking on my '81 RS.

So I could just live with it. I don't think it is dangerous, just distracting on our crappy New England roads. This winter I should take it apart once more. It's got to be the forks, bumpers, springs, shims... something like that.

thanks

Posted : 07/21/2019 18:09
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

thanks

Posted : 07/21/2019 18:11
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I mostly feel a bit of front to back rocking on my '81 RS.

Might be time for new rear shocks !

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/22/2019 22:43
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Yes, I replaced the rear shocks and have mostly turned it out with adjustment. All the clunking is what I’d really like to cure.

Posted : 07/24/2019 08:37
ray wilson
(@15295)
Estimable Member

Could it be your steering head bearings? The post above yours has me in it. Mine clunked over any little bump. Cleaned and regreased the bearings and it's gone. Very satisfying

Posted : 07/24/2019 21:04

Advertisement

Scroll to top