AccuMate Ressurection

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
David Barnett
(@viejo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I have a twelve year old AccuMate battery tender that does not want to go on "float" any longer.... still putting out a healthy charging voltage, just doesn't know when to quit. Anybody know any fixes?...... other than the obvious one.

Hate to give up on a faithful warrior too soon.

Viejo

Posted : 07/25/2019 19:43
Richard W
(@wobbly)

So exactly what voltage and current does it output ??

If it's ~14.3V and below 1A, then you can couple it with a common lamp timer to automatically turn ON for 30 minutes a week. That would make a great maintenance charger.

Once a battery is above something like 75% charge, you want to highly reduce the current. The rule of thumb is 10% of the AH rating as a Maximum. No motorcycle battery really wants more than 750 mA (in layman's terms, 3/4 of 1A) once it's in the usable charge range.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/26/2019 17:21
David Barnett
(@viejo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks!

Interesting option using a lamp timer. I'll have to mull that one over a bit as the output voltage/amperage are still well within spec.

I started using a battery tender when I was going to sea and gone for four or five months at a time. I'm ashore now but I still like the idea of the battery on a full time minder. I got ~7 years out of my last battery most of which I attribute to the battery being kept at a constant charge level with little or no deep cycling.

Viejo

Posted : 07/27/2019 13:21
Richard W
(@wobbly)

You're not quoting any numbers on the charger or the battery, so I expect your results were simply a happy coincidence. That is to say, I hope you're not taking your single case and expecting others to apply it to their situation regardless of charger output or battery brand and type.

Investigations toward electric cars found that batteries do not like to be maintained at full charge. And my own personal experience tells me that most people cook their batteries to death doing full-time or extended charge.

I had a battery last longer by merely disconnecting it from the bike once I returned home. The only time that battery received a charge was when I rode the bike, which was infrequently. It was still in fine tune 11 years later when I sold the bike. Again, a happy coincidence.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/28/2019 00:33

Advertisement

Scroll to top