seat for R75/6

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Tobin Peever
(@tpeever)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Restoring my 1976 R75/6 and am considering replacing the seat on the bike or replacing foam and cover. Pan is pretty solid. Current seat appears to be period correct but presumably not original to the bike. Seat pan is reasonable and foam is pretty good for being 40 plus years old. A few small tears in the cover. Overall a fairly respectable seat but looks a bit shabby next to newly painted tinware that is spectacular. Current seat is Denfeld and has a sticker that says "Made in West Germany". Seat top is smooth and has 8-10 inch tall sissy bar with a pad. So I presume this is an aftermarket and period correct seat for the bike.

There are several new seats available for the bike which include Zelph which are made in the UK, Siebenrock which are made in Germany plus another which is reportedly made in Poland. Huge variation in price from about $300 US to over $500 US. Does anyone have any experience with these seats and could shed some light on the situation and help me narrow my choices?

Thanks,

Tobin

Posted : 08/22/2018 23:00
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Having restored several bikes, allow me to make this observation.... If you think your seat is stock, then the first thing you want to do is remove the old seat cover and check out the condition of the steel pan. The seat "pan" is 98% of your worries.

• Due to the foam collecting water, the pans can rust out from the inside. Often times it's far better to take a decent OEM pan and weld up the few cracks, media blast off all the rust, and repaint with an rust-preventing paint.

• The reason for all this is that if a hinge or lock location is off by just a very few millimeters, then the seat will sit strangely on the bike. If the rubber bumpers are in the wrong location, then the seat may teeter-totter when you sit down. The seat pan determines the location point for all this necessary hardware. Since the seat you already own is a "known quantity", it's simply much better to deal with the "devil you know", rather than one you know nothing about.

I'd much rather have a local upholstery shop cut me a replacement piece of foam, buy a pattern seat cover, buy all new rubber bumpers, and re-install it all on the old pan than deal with headaches of a 3rd party seat. My experience is, if they Look right, then don't fit right. And if they Fit right, then they don't sit right. I've never been able to "win" with 3rd party seats.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/23/2018 07:39
Tobin Peever
(@tpeever)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Wobbly. I have had pretty good luck with aftermarket seats including Corbin but am leaning the way you suggest. The seat I have fits perfectly and the pan is excellent. I also have a good supply of different densities of foam (modified several seats previously) so may just need a new cover.

Posted : 08/23/2018 10:27
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I actually prefer Corbin and Sargent seats for longer distance riding too, but I thought you wanted to stay close to OEM.

If you live in the East as I do, August us a great time to install a seat cover. The thick material will be so much more supple and getting out all the wrinkles will be so much easier during really warm weather.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/27/2018 09:22
Tobin Peever
(@tpeever)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I actually prefer Corbin and Sargent seats for longer distance riding too, but I thought you wanted to stay close to OEM.

Yes, I like Corbins a lot. Much better side support than most saddles. Also much firmer which is better for my 215 lbs. I have owned three of them over the years and currently run one on my Commando as well as my modern Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport. I disassembled my R75/6 seat over the weekend and the seat pan is solid. So I ordered new foam and a new cover. I would like to keep the bike OEM for now. If I decide to make the R75/6 my main touring bike (considering selling the modern Guzzi going all vintage but the Sport is such a capable touring bike!). I will likely buy a Corbin for longer rides on the R75.

you live in the East as I do, August us a great time to install a seat cover. The thick material will be so much more supple and getting out all the wrinkles will be so much easier during really warm weather.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I have recovered and modified a few seats and have found that a hair dryer really helps to make the vinyl more pliable for installation.

Thanks for your help!

Tobin

Posted : 08/27/2018 12:01

Advertisement

Scroll to top