Starter Woes, On Trip

9 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Yesterday morning I left home in Kentucky, to ride the 95 R100RT about 780 miles north to Syracuse NY,  to visit old friends. About 150 miles from the destination, I made a final gas stop. When time to go, the bike would not start. When I pushed the button, the volt meter would plummet, and a strange sound came from below the tank. I tried cleaning all battery connections, but no joy. I re-tried the starter button several times, and suddenly the engine spun and fired right up, as always. Upon arrival in Syracuse, I briefly trouble shot, and determined the (Polish Valeo) starter has an intermittent short to ground. Later, reading online I found a forum thread that matches my bike's symptoms,  and explains the problem, and solution in detail. So, long story short, I have a new starter being overnight shipped, to arrive by 10AM tomorrow. So hopefully all will end well. My backup plan, is to ride home without shutting the motor off. Once home, I may submit an article to Chris RE this venture, but for now, it's still unfolding. Meanwhile I am gonna enjoy visiting friends here in Syracuse. 

Posted : 09/06/2023 14:27
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Sorry to hear of your starter issues. Hope you don't count the whole trip as "ruined", but rather "extra time with friends".

Keep us filled in on the end of the story.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/07/2023 13:27
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

Joe, I understand you contacted my local shop owner for help.   I am so sorry he didn't.  My understanding is he doesn't really stock starters as they rarely go bad.   Again, I am sorry you didn't get help.   Also I am sorry I don't have a spare starter in my pile of spare parts.    St.

Beware! I do not suffer fools gladly! St.

Posted : 09/07/2023 13:48
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the well wishes, folks. Glen, at Beemer Barn was helpful in referring me to EME, and they sent a starter overnight, it arrived at 10:30AM, and I was done with the job at 12 noon. At 8AM, I began disassembly, and 45 minutes later was just waiting on the new starter to arrive. The bike now starts as it should. I plan to leave in the morning by 7AM, and and hope to be home in KY by dark. But will stopover somewhere, if needed. Thanks again y'all. 

Posted : 09/07/2023 14:16
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

Sorry, my teflon memory I couldn't remember how you handled the situation.   Sadly, I no longer have a truck or trailer and I am a few miles west of where you were.  Regardless, you have the matter in hand.

Next time shout out and maybe I could meet you in person someplace. St.

Posted : 09/07/2023 15:04
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Steven, next time I ride up to Syracuse will definitely give you a heads up, it would be GREAT to meet you in person too. I got home today at 7:30PM, and left Syracuse at 7AM this morning; rode straight through, and only stoped for gas 3 times. I took the same route home as going up, via the Southern Tier on I-86. I love the scenery, and minimal traffic, so to me it's worth the extra 50 miles or so to ride that route. But "progress" is coming that way too, as it's more crowded each time I go through there. On the positive, they now have rest stops, and better road signs. I once nearly ran out of gas riding that route, because back then there were't many signs. 

The new starter is a Duralast, and I have read bad things about them, but have been buying Duralast products from Autozone for years, and seldom any problems. I plan to have the Polish Valeo rebuilt, or use it as a core, but definitely want a good spare on hand, and may put it in the saddlebag on the next trip. I like the durability of old Bosch starters, but when temps drop below 32F, it's a maybe whether an Airhead will start or not. At least that's my experience. But better batteries are available now, so maybe Bosch would be OK with a stronger battery. For over 2 years I've had a AGM Duracell, 30LA, with 400CCA, and it always spins the RT over very well, hot or cold.

The starter issue did not dampen my spirits in Syracuse, and I had a great time with old friends. None of us are getting any younger, and I cherish each time we can get together.   

Joe H

Posted : 09/08/2023 20:29
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

Hey Joe, route 86 is a great road for a highway, sadly as the price of tolls to up on route 90, traffic diverts to 86.  LOL, there is no middle road between the two as the finger lakes sort of get in the way going west to east.

Yeah, I am glad you got home in good shape.   I guess I am lucky I am still on my original starter after 39 years and 240,000+ miles.

Lots of good places to meet up next time, just give me a good heads up before so I can clear the calendar.  St.

Posted : 09/08/2023 23:55
Joe Hall reacted
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi Steven,

This is my 6th Airhead since 1981, and none of the other 5 ever had a starter problem. But they were all 1976 - 1982, so they had Bosch starters, as far as I know. 

This is actually the 3rd starter on this 95 R100RT. I bought it in October 2020 with 25,000 miles on it, then replaced the starter in December 2020 at 29,000 miles, because the Bendix sometimes spun out before the engine started. Probably an easy fix, but I replaced it with a new Valeo (from EME) which, being made in Poland, is supposedly improved over the France made OEM. That Polish Valeo is the one that failed a few days ago, at 75,000 miles, so it lasted 33 months and 46,000 miles. I am disappointed, but EME made things right, though they were not obligated. That it suddenly failed, without warning, makes me wanna carry a spare on trips, along with a 1/4" drive ratchet and short 13mm socket to remove the starter mount bolts. It took me about 1.5 hours total to R&R the starter, and the only tool needed besides the those in the OEM tool roll, was the ratchet and socket mentioned above. With that tool, the job could be done in a motel parking lot, or even roadside, but thankfully I had my old friend's garage to work in.         

Posted : 09/09/2023 08:47
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

LOL, I don't know Joe, what is the limit of spare parts to carry on a trip versus clothing?  A spare starter is pretty bulky to cart around on the off chance of a failure.  Then again, I can understand why you think of doing it, three starters in what I consider a short time would make me shy as well.    

No kick starter on the newer bikes and to be honest, I had one on my 78RS and used it once.  Not a gentle kick like the /2 bikes but a lot of work.    I found bump starting easier but then again that was when I was able to walk faster and could jump on the bike.  Now, I would have to rely on a couple of youths or better shape old guys to push me on the bike.   LOL, there is never a down hill when you need it, only uphill or level.  St.

Posted : 09/09/2023 11:23
Joe Hall reacted

Advertisement

Scroll to top