Advice on towing my R100GSPD

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
12.6 K Views
Mark Millman
(@14947)
Topic starter

While I hate the idea of towing my PD my wife has just purchased herself a new RV and I need somewhat to bring my bike along. I live in Nevada so 75 mph is the standard highway speed. I'd prefer something compact but the last thing I want is to buy something that will fall apart on me.

I'd like your thoughts on

Thanks, Mark Millman

Posted : 02/09/2017 20:19
Richard W
(@wobbly)

As I remember, Oak had something bad to say about your first option. Apparently BMWs don't lubricate the gearbox well unless the engine is doing the turning. Didn't make sense to me, but I bow to his superior experience.

Option number 2 begs the question, (as Ray Stephens put it) just how will a single person get "that big motorcycle up on the high dive ?" That, and they probably weren't designed with the extra width of a BMW in mind.

Option number 3 is probably your best bet. Very low for single person loading. Could be used behind any vehicle, including your motorcycle. You never know you might need to rescue a broken down Harley one day. B)

Then, there's always option number 4: Ride the BMW !! The same Bluetooth intercom you use on the bike would work great between the bike and RV.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/10/2017 15:14
Steve Wike
(@steevo)
Trusted Member

I'm with Wobbly on this.

option #1 - front wheel off ground and rear on ground - NEVER. Although the BMW transmission in neutral is self-lubricating (there is no oil pump in there), you are wearing out the rear tire, drive shaft, etc. for no riding benefit. Also, you cannot back up with a bike hitched this way. I have seen a couple of these in action, and it just seems wrong to me.
option #2 - Hitch mounted rail type carrier. There are many variations on this, including models that tilt down or lower via powered means, allowing easier loading. If you have to get the bike up to a hitch-level rail via lifting, ramp, or other means, I don't see them as practical (or safe) for one-man operation. The better, pricier units make loading easy, and with the bike off the ground and secured, the only backing danger is that you smash it into something. Now its your bike instead of just the bumper.
option #3 - tow on a purpose-buit trailer. I think this is the best option, and there are hundreds of trailer options out there. The biggest drawback is that they are all but impossible to back up behind a long vehicle like a motor home. You can't see it in your mirrors, but maybe with a backup camera you could see it but still not really back it up without great difficulty.

Posted : 03/08/2017 20:57
Mark Millman
(@14947)
Topic starter

Thank you for your comments, nothing surprises me as it just re-enforces my own thoughts. If I go this route it looks like a quality trailer is the only appropriate solution.

Can any recommend a specific trailer based on experience?

Thanks again, Mark

Posted : 03/08/2017 21:21
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

ANKRA tie downs. i'm NOT a ratchet type
soft ties
good trailer
tie to the fork by the wheel

http://www.mad-ducati.com/tiedown/TieDown.html

http://www.mad-ducati.com/ShowPage2.php?PageName=oaAs0DiTljcmcwien.9LwutCliui5Elp10nn/ct/dBooeSu6TDhh9TWVpeFq33

Posted : 03/21/2017 01:08

Advertisement

Scroll to top