Clear all

New Member Introduction

18 Posts
13 Users
11 Likes
Caleb Frederick
(@caleb-frederick)
Topic starter

Hi, I’m Caleb Frederick in Huntsville, AL.  I was introduced to Airheads when I was young and my Dad bought a new 1980 R100RT Red Smoke.  He later gave that bike to me and I’ve recently completed its restoration after it sat for over 20 years (see photo).  I bought my first Airhead in 2000… a 1973 75/5 LWB.  Since then, I’ve owned other BMWs including Airheads (and a well-known Italian brand).

Over the years, I’ve done most mechanical and electrical work on my bikes and have a well-stocked garage including lift to make this possible.  For ‘specialty’ work, I am fortunate to be semi-local to Rick Jones of Motorrad Elektrik.

If you’re in or passing through the Huntsville area and you’re interested in a coffee, BT, or need assistance, feel free to reach out.

Posted : 11/13/2022 11:46
Al Ferguson, Joe Hall, John Deikis and 1 people reacted
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

Hello, and WELCOME from the bottom of Texas. Beautiful RT!  Very cool that it was your Dad’s. I’ve never met Rick, but I’ve had some good phone time with him. Great that he is in your vicinity. Certainly one of the “good guys”. Hope you find your membership to be enjoyable and useful. Lots of good knowledge out there!

Posted : 11/13/2022 13:34
Joe Hall reacted
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome from NE Georgia !

Great looking RT you have there.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/14/2022 06:22
Eric Morales
(@emoralesr45)
Trusted Member

Hi Caleb,

Welcome and Wow! Very nicely restored. 

V/R Eric

Posted : 11/19/2022 17:02
Peter Miller
(@peter-miller)

Well, it's pretty quiet in this "intro" thread, but I'll go ahead and introduce myself anyway.

I'm Peter, living in Hillsdale, NY in beautiful Columbia County.  Been here about 2 1/2 years after retiring from teaching elementary school in Westchester County (Ossining to be specific) for almost 30 years.

I have a 1984 R80ST I bought a couple of months after moving to the country, previous bike was almost 30 years prior, a 1972 R75/5 which I owned for a couple of years.

I attended Greg's tech day down in New Fairfield, CT and had a great time looking at all the old bikes and watching folks work on them.

Here's a picture of my ST...

[url= https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52430453130_85f14c694c_h.jp g" target="_blank">https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52430453130_85f14c694c_h.jp g"/> [/img][/url][url= https://flic.kr/p/2nT6M4Q ]October 15, 2022[/url] by [url= https://www.flickr.com/photos/156678813@N02/ ]SPP™ SlowPokePete[/url], on Flickr

SPP

This post was modified 1 year ago by Peter Miller

Posted : 11/20/2022 13:40
Joe Hall reacted
Greer Rising
(@greer-rising)

@peter-miller Wow, It sure is quiet!  Nice ride.  Welcome!

Posted : 01/16/2023 19:10
Doyle Smith
(@7596)

Welcome to the Airheads! We've got great riding here in NW Arkansas. If you can make this way, I'll stake you to lunch and show you some of the good roads. I'm in the Dairectory.

Posted : 03/07/2023 20:42
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member

A hearty welcome from KY, to both Caleb and Peter. You both have very nice looking Airheads. I particularly like smoke red, but also hav long admired the STs. On my current 95 R100RT, I replaced the factory tail trunk with a Pelican, as Peter did. Never thought of painting it gray, as Peter did, to match the bike, but wish I had now that I've seen Peter's. 

Posted : 04/01/2023 05:47
Mark Scott
(@18280)

Hello, first post, thanks for the add!
i just bought a ‘78 R100s, its been in non-op for 2 years but the PO drove it home. I plan on getting it running then decide what I’ll do as far as restoring. My question is what should i start out checking. History about myself, im a retired mechanic, restored several Japanese bikes and a few other makes, had motorcycles since a kid. Ive owned a few oilhead BMW’s but no airheads.
I made sure I had brakes before first ride.

Thanks , Mark

Roseville, Ca.

Posted : 04/05/2023 08:19
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome !

► Please check that your RT's front snowflake wheel has the reinforcing webs at the hub. Earlier wheels without reinforcement webs were known to BREAK and injure the rider. There is a permanent recall on the older wheels, and any faulty style wheel can and will be replaced for FREE by BMW North America. Free parts and free labor.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Richard W

Posted : 04/07/2023 06:05
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

Welcome. After fluids and filter change, I would try to crank. Check timing, brakes then look for any thing obvious and try a short ride.

Unless there is evidence of previous maintenance, a full service will either reveal problems or assure they do not exist. Tire age,steering head bearings, brake wear should be checked. Next find somewhere to ride.

Bob

Posted : 04/08/2023 09:48
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member

Welcome from Newfoundland.

Posted : 07/19/2023 04:53
Caleb Frederick
(@caleb-frederick)
Topic starter

@wobbly Yes, I’m familiar with the recall on these wheels and mine has the additional webbing as shown in your picture provided.  But thank you for asking the question.  

Cheers,

Caleb

Posted : 10/14/2023 12:56
Joe Hall reacted
Larry Pepper
(@18325)
New Member Customer Registered

Returning to the Simple life, just got a 76 900/6. Bike has been sitting for about 6 years. Recent owner bought it in 2006. Speedo shows 21K, but I doubt that is correct. At first inspection it seems that just about everything that can leak does, except Master cylinder. So I have my work cut out for me.

Oh yeah it is set up for Velorex sidecar, which is currently detached.

Previous bikes:

1967 SEARS (Gilera) 106SS the first bike I ever rode, still have it.

Numerous BMWs K75S, K100RS, K11RS X3, RT X2, F600S, F750GS, K1300S Motosport, K1600GTL

Guzzi: Convert, G5

Benelli: Sei 750

a couple of Asian bikes

Laverda: 750 GT twin (which is in the 2024 Paul Oxman mc calendar), 750S bitsa all in pieces.

and the "new" bike the 76 900/6 mentioned already.

That is all I can remember.......

Eurocycleguy

Larry about 40 miles West of Chicago

This post was modified 7 months ago 2 times by Larry Pepper

Posted : 10/16/2023 11:33
Richard W reacted
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Larry -

Welcome !

► Like a lot of Airheads, the bike you found may have sat for a long while. The following article contains a list of the top 80% of the trouble spots that repeatedly develop during storage. It may take a while to check all these, but you've got all winter and it makes a good "check list". If you have any questions, we're always here to help...

https://www.airheads.org/community/wrenching/new-owner-primer-tips-to-get-your-airhead-back-on-the-road/

One recurring issue is the OEM grease evolving with age into the consistency of window putty... a very, VERY thick consistency. This effects 2 areas especially bad... the head post (steering issues) and the starter motor (very slow spinning until it burns out the motor). Don't overlook those.

Regards

Posted : 10/16/2023 16:36
Page 1 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top