FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

1995 R100RT: Need advice on Fork Seals, Progressive Springs, Gaiters & Steering Head Bearings

11 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

My recently acquired R100RT has leaking fork seals, which contaminated the brake pads. It also has a bit of head shake if I take my hands off the bars at 35-45 MPH, and dives way too much for me when braking hard. So I plan to do the job once and do it right: replace fork seals; install Progressive springs; replace brake pads (with Galfer HH); remove the fairing-to-fork seals and install gaiters; inspect, clean and adjust the steering head bearings, and check for stiction at the axle. With only 26,000 miles on the bike, I am hoping it won't need new steering bearings, but will replace them if needed. 

To prepare for the job I have gathered: 11 rib gaiters & clamps, Progressive springs, All Balls fork seals, brake pads, 

Still need to order: ACDelo P-80 Emulsion rubber lube, and Loc-Tite 518 Gasket Maker (if y'all say I need to). Also need to order the roll pins to vent the gators (anyone have a part number or size?) I also plan to use either 7.5 wt. fork oil or Valvoline power steering fluid (depending on your recommendations).  

QUESTIONS: Is there anything else I need to order in preparation? 

Can someone please walk me through the processes of the above, especially disassembly and reassembly regarding the fork seals? Also, correct amount of fork oil, and how to measure? Over the decades I have worked on a few Harleys' forks, and installed Progressive springs in a few Airheads, back in the day when I rode them, but the newest one was 1982. I know this 1995 RT likely has several key differences I need to know, going in. Plus it's been a few decades since I worked on a BMW front end. 

Thanks in advance.

Joe Hall

Posted : 11/02/2020 11:40
Richard W
(@wobbly)

My experience has been that the bearings are in good shape, but the grease itself has oxidized and solidified over time. And by the term "the grease" I mean all the grease in every location. It shows up first in the head post bearings because that confines the steering and keeps the bike from self-correcting as you roll down the road. But the same thing is happening in your wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, and steering dampener adjustment mechanism.

The swing arm is easy. All you need to do is use the correct grease gun nozzle and pump in new grease. The head post is a little more work since the triple tree has to be slid down and bearings washed in-place. But you can remove the front wheel, central part of the fairing and fork crown, then access both top and bottom bearings.

This will take you about 4 hours if you have all the tools ready. The hard part is finding some water-proof grease that is extremely tenacious. That is, you don't want to have the grease washed out by rain or running out on hot days.

This has been covered twice in the last year with additional info. Use the SEARCH function.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/06/2020 17:29
Joe Hall reacted
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

@8166 I stumbled onto your gunsmoke site a few months ago, and consider it a treasure trove, especially since I now have a 95 R100RT. Your site is saved to favorites, and I have perused every section. Mine is an early 95 RT, born in December 1994 (VIN last four is 301). It has the screw in fork spring retainers, whereas yours has the later type held in place by circles. Other than that, they both seem identical. 

Mine came with an RDL, with backrest, and it fits as if it were custom made for me. You bought a 24" (actual 23.5") Slipstreamer windshield for yours, whereas mine has a 22" (21.5") Slpstreamer, which also fits as if it were made for me. I like to look over the shield, and can easily do so if I sit straight up. 

As for the forks, I now have everything needed except the gaiters. I ordered those from Porter a couple of weeks ago, but they seem hopelessly lost in shipment. I shoulda known to avoid USPS shipping, as I have had terrible luck with them over the last year. I am about to give up and just get them from Bob's, but he does not list the 11 rib version, which is what I want. 

Thanks much for answering here, and for your excellent gunsmoke site! 

Joe Hall

Posted : 11/09/2020 09:05
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

@8166

Not sure who made my windshield now. I took a pic to the trademark label, and do not recognize it. It looks identical to yours, albeit starting to peel and flake. Here's a pic of the trademark.

Posted : 11/09/2020 16:46
James Bussell
(@10385)
Trusted Member

I was thinking the R100 came with thirteen rib gaiters...(either will work)...

This post was modified 3 years ago by James Bussell

Posted : 11/29/2020 10:30
James Bussell
(@10385)
Trusted Member

I second guessed myself and looked it up and it is ass backwards...the earlier airheads came with thirteen ribs, and later came with eleven...(sigh) wrong again... 🙂

Posted : 11/30/2020 10:17
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @10385

I second guessed myself and looked it up and it is ass backwards...the earlier airheads came with thirteen ribs, and later came with eleven...(sigh) wrong again... 🙂

Hold on there, mister !

Making mistakes is MY job. I'll be the one to make all the mistakes on this forum. 

Posted : 12/01/2020 07:56
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I wanna thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I read and re-read each post, watched several YT videos, and poked around on other forums. Then, I tackled the front end yesterday, and it seemed as if I'd recently done it all before, thanks to y'all and some other folks. I found the steering head bearings still good, so just cleaned and lubed them. I had Ted's BMW gaiters, and Ranchos on hand, and wound up using the Ranchos; they fit better, and easier to work with due to being more pliable. When I say fit better, I mean they are skinnier (outer OD), so have a bit more clearance from the cavity in the fairing.

Of course mission creep has set in, while I'm at it might as well: install an Omega 600 watt alternator; install a good used Bosch starter (the Valero is making weird sounds after I release the button); install a 35L tail trunk from a 1991 KLT; space the handlebars up and back a bit more (already installed bar-backs). As of today, I am at a standstill, awaiting more parts. Once parts are in, I estimate another 6-8 hours and she'll be back on the road. I also need to install new tires, front and rear, so maybe 8-10 hours.

I usually ride year round here in the mild Kentucky climate, but need electric clothing head to foot when temps drop much below 50. The Omega was painful, but really the only way to go. I never had any problems out of a Bosch starter, so decided to just get away from the Valero and go with what I know works. Used Bosch starters are common as house flies on eBay, so keeping my fingers crossed when this one shows up in the mail.  

Thanks Again Folks!

Joe H

Posted : 12/02/2020 15:52
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

My 1995 RT does, indeed, have the snap ring retainers for the fork springs. To remove the old springs and install new Progressives, I found it easy to use a long screwdriver and press the retainer down with my chest and hold it there, while removing the snap ring with a pick. I folded a shop towel several times to use as a cushion between my chest and the screwdriver handle. Wouldn't wanna do that everyday but it worked OK, and no soreness today.  

Posted : 12/02/2020 16:46
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I wrapped up the front end rebuild today, though not really a major rebuild as much as catching up routine maintenance, I suppose. The steering head bearings were OK, and just needed cleanup and repacking; for gaiters, I wound up using the Rancho RS1952s. The brake pads were soiled, so they were replaced with Galfer's HH sintered. Also replaced the front tire, mainly to get rid of the Kenda, which was about 2/3rds worn out anyway. I replaced it with an AM26 MKII, and 100/90 size instead of the, "correct" 90/90. I have not taken the bike off the lift yet, due to other ongoing work, but looking forward to suspension improvement when I do. 

Kenda was a bad experience. Both front and rear tires had less than 100 miles when I bought the bike; the rear was down to the cord 3500 miles later (see attached pic), and the front was 2/3rds worn out. I replaced the rear with a Bridgestone Spitfire, but next time will likely opt for a BT45. 

I have also installed the Omega 600 watt kit, and was impressed with how well thought out it was, and ease of installation. I also removed the entire PAS, but waiting on a left side fuel petcock to arrive from Ted Porter. Also waiting on a new Valejo starter from Moto Electric. Trying to address everything in one fell swoop so, hopefully, when the bike comes off the lift it won't need anything but riding for awhile.    

Posted : 12/10/2020 22:31
Richard W
(@wobbly)

1. Remember that modern tires run 10-15% higher air pressures than what your original owner's manual or various stickers on the bike might be telling you. I got terrible mileage from modern tires until I started using the higher pressures they required.

2. The Airhead head post bearings aren't like other bikes. The presence of tapered roller bearings calls for a pre-load that bikes with ball bearings don't use. And you'll want to check that again after 100 miles.

Hope this helps.

Posted : 12/11/2020 08:48
Joe Hall reacted

Advertisement

Scroll to top