Clear all

62 mph is all shes got!

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Mike Hansen
(@1074)
Topic starter

Hey guys, looking for some help with my 1992 R100R. Had the transmission rebuilt by Ted Porter at 155,000 miles, after I reinstalled tranny and did a much needed top end reseal and rebuilt carbs (clean & replace O-rings and gaskets) I took the bike to a local independent shop to sync carbs & get her dialed in (I was out of time). When I got the bike back it started easily and settled into an idle @ 1200 rpm. As the bike warmed up it seemed the idle was less steady. Rode the bike the 3 miles to freeway on-ramp & got on the freeway, bike accelerated well while pulling onto freeway up to an indicated 5500 rpm, then it lost power and dropped to about 4000 rpm MAX, regardless of throttle input.
I exited the freeway and headed home on surface streets , while sitting at the stoplight with the clutch engaged the rpm @ idle would hunt from 1500 rpm to a max of 2500 rpm, with no throttle input. Slowly letting out the clutch would cause the rpm to drop until I pulled in the clutch and they would rise to 2000 rpm again.
The bike has an after market Hall Sender and Ignition module purchased from Motorrad Elektrik, I sent the Hall sender to Rick at Motorrad Elektrik for testing and Rick said it passed & sent it back with a new ignition module. Same result, loss of power when accelerating and idle racing. I also tested the retro-fitted dual Bosch coils and they tested within parameters.
I'm at a dead end and need some ideas where to look next, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted : 01/14/2017 00:09
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Sounds like a lean mixture caused by....
• An air leak at the intake hose, OR
• A torn or holed carb diaphragm, OR
• Your friendly neighborhood bike shop did not replace the screws from the carb sync holes after they synced your carbs.

See that "post" just to the left of the "idle mixture screw" ? If you look closely there's a screw at the bottom. I bet one or both of those screws are missing from your carbs.

B)

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 01/25/2017 01:05
Sid Cranston
(@bmwsid)

So, Mr 1074, was THAT the problem? were those screws missing?

Posted : 02/24/2017 18:51
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I'd like to know myself. Sometimes my crystal ball goes on the blink.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/25/2017 09:43

Advertisement

Scroll to top