Clear all

Speedometer Kaput 1975 R90/6

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Greg Wilson
(@beemerluv)
Topic starter

I was riding along,  heard a rattling noise from the instruments and then, “pow”, the speedometer just let go.  The dial seemed to break free and I could see that the screws holding it in place were no longer there and the needle no longer moves.  Is this something a newbie can fix by taking it apart and finding the screws and replacing them.  Or could the cable be broken and need professional attention?

Posted : 03/15/2024 06:05
Richard W
(@wobbly)

• To my knowledge replacement gauge sets and parts are no longer available through BMW.

• To my knowledge shops that "rebuild" broken gauge sets only tweak parts inside your existing case. They don't have a supply of repair parts. (The most common repairs are lubrication, repair of the slipping odometer gear, and possibly fitting a Katdash circuit board.)

The owner can certainly disassemble the gauge set to ascertain the extent of the damage.

1) Start by disconnecting the drive cable(s).

2) Loosen the 3 screws pointed at the rider's gut. (These may be under 3 black caps.) Pull the gauge set up and off the steel mount.

3) The gauge set will be closely retained by the harness. Slightly twist the gauge set to expose the under-side. Remove the single #1 Phillips head screw (which may be hidden in a well) of the rubber booted electrical connector. 

4) Work the rubber connector loose from the gauge set by wiggling. These can be stubborn; take your time.

5) Working over a large white towel in the middle of a table, access is gained though the rear cover.  Remove all the visible screws on the back cover. Remove the circuit board to reveal 2 separate instruments and the damage.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/15/2024 07:45
James Quinn
(@15917)

http://speedometer.com

Posted : 03/16/2024 10:40
Greg Wilson
(@beemerluv)
Topic starter

This may be beyond my abilities.  Even if I took this thing apart, the probability of repair is low.  Overseas is looking closer at this point.  I am grateful for all suggestions.

Posted : 03/23/2024 18:24
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

Greg, you skipped threads.  I answered you in your first post and see you are now in the airheads help section.

Can you provide pictures of what you are talking about?   I can't think of a reason why the two screws in the dial would suddenly loosen and come out.   The force turning the needle is minimal, not enough to break them loose.  St.

Beware! I do not suffer fools gladly! St.

Posted : 03/25/2024 10:13

Advertisement

Scroll to top