Headlight modulator

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Craig Willson
(@humble-bub)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Not wishing to ‘pollute’ OP thread I will start a new one. I noticed in another thread regarding an apparent electrical issue Wobbly asked if there was a headlight modulator installed. As I have one installed I am curious if these devices are known failure points. As an aside, mine has worked fine but since installing LED headlight I have it disabled as the reduced resistance makes it almost like a laser strobe and I am concerned regarding safety to oncoming drivers.

Posted : 07/22/2020 08:05
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I asked that to make sure there wasn't a possibility of weird impulses being imparted to that particular electrical system that might be cooking the electronic voltage regulators. That particular poster had mysterious VR results after the bike had been running for awhile, so I simply took a stab. That was the background on that question.

My brother is still using the modulator that he first fitted in the mid-70's. Now it's mounted on his third motorcycle. I move them from bike to bike myself. So I'd have to say that they are NOT a known failure point. In fact I've never heard of any issues stemming from their use. But like any other pulsing electrical device, we need to make sure those pulses aren't distributed to adjacent electrical devices via the wiring harness or transmitted by radio waves, and then end up interrupting the normal behavior of these other (apparently) unassociated devices. (E.g. AM radios picking up the sound of spark plugs.)

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/22/2020 17:27

Advertisement

Scroll to top