Clear all

Shocks for /6

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
William R Phillips
(@8893)
Topic starter

My "new" '75 R90S, at 14K mi., has rear shocks that look to be toast.

Rec's for replacement???? I see new IKONs with a snazzy aluminum billet cover on Ebay for $380.

How long will it take my Airmarshal to get the old ones off and the new ones on?

Pretty eager to get this one dialed in and out and about to show it off. The original paint is to die for! Can't figure out how to resize Apple Photos, so you'll have to take my word for it for now (-:

Posted : 08/04/2017 10:36
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Shocks
I have a new Ikon on my single-sided RS and I am not really impressed. They talk a good talk, but I spent 2 weeks conferring with Ikon USA CS, and their super guru in Austria, and nothing was resolved except that I could buy another $70 spring, but they could make no recommendations. Huh ? Your shock, your springs, and you cannot make a recommendation for a specific bike and rider weight ? WTF ??!!

Here are 2 other options with much, much better customer service:
I have fitted 2 pair of Hagon shocks. One to a /7 and one to a /6. Both bikes performed flawlessly and are still in use 2 years later. The secret to Hagon is NOT to buy from a dealer, but instead to buy directly from Hagon USA (click here). Tell them your weight (rider+ passenger+ luggage) and riding style, and the shocks will arrive set up to your specs for the exact same price as a dealer.

My brother called Ted Porter BMW and he sent back a set of Wilbers shocks setup exactly for his weight, riding style, and BMW model. I had never heard of Wilbers, but my brother dealt directly with Ted. Six emails and several phone conversations during and as follow-up. And the difference in the bike is like night and day. Impressive shock. Impressive service.

Installation
Replacing the rear shocks on a /5, /6 or /7 is the easiest job you can do. If you have bag mounts, they may need to be loosened to enable sliding the bottom mount off the final drive stud, but overall it's a 15 minute job with tool kit wrenches. The secret is to do one side at a time so that the swing arm doesn't fall to the ground and thereby necessitate lifting the wheel/ swing arm assy.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/04/2017 11:58

Advertisement

Scroll to top