1983 R100RS side stand removal

6 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Steven Shockley
(@14922)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I've recently added a Brown's side stand to my R100RS, which was easy enough and works great.

My problem is how to remove the old side stand. All the information I've seen online has shown a different configuration side stand to the one I have. Mine has two springs. I think it was a BMW replacement stand that came about in conjunction with a service bulletin.

The problem is that the bolt that goes through the stand's hinge point is behind the exhaust pipe. I see no way to get an Allen head wrench on it without disassembling the left side of the exhaust system. 

If I have to, I have to. But am I missing something?

Thanks

Posted : 02/27/2024 11:38
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

If the exhaust is in the way, you will have to remove it. 

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 02/28/2024 09:04
Richard W reacted
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I found that taking all 3 exhaust pipes off as a single unit (disconnecting at the cyl heads and mufflers) is best.

Be sure to re-seat the exhaust port nuts with a fresh coat of Never-Seize.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/29/2024 05:08
Steven Shockley
(@14922)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the input. I think I'll just leave the OEM Sidestand in place. Too much effort for too little gain!

Posted : 03/01/2024 15:28
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member

That would drive me nuts! I put a Brown's on mine as well but I don't remember having too hard a time getting the old one off, it wasn't OEM either.

Posted : 03/02/2024 06:41
Steven Shockley
(@14922)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Well, the sidestand mount is welded to the frame. So even if I got the stand off, there would be a large mount still on the bike. I expect I'll leave it this way until I have a reason to remove the exhaust. Then I'll remove the stand.

Posted : 03/06/2024 11:33

Advertisement

Scroll to top