Clear all

Bushings; "Ride Off" Center Stand; '82 RT

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
John Griffin
(@john-griffin)
Topic starter

OK, first tech post here...some pics attached (I hope, though may be limited to just one; dunno why...)

My new '82 RT project bike apparently has a "Reynolds Ride Off" center stand

Unfortunately, it clears the ground by about 5/8" when deployed, encouraging the old girl to list drunkenly to port. Monkeying with the stand,  it feels like the pivot bushings may be shot, for a start. But, they ain't worn no 5/8"....

Having searched and googled:

- Seems the Reynolds bushings are different than stock? (see my cut and paste below)

- Also, '81 & '82 R100RT Reynolds stands may be different than later models?, perhaps due to OEM "Nivomat" shocks?

(the shocks on it as received are old Koni's - measuring right at 13" (~ 330mm) CTC

- Tires are ancient Metzlers; they look about right though

Bent or wrong stand? Frame bent? Shocks too long? Something else amiss?

Posted : 12/11/2021 16:58
Richard W
(@wobbly)

The Reynolds Ride-Off is a nice piece of kit and works well.... but you must have the correct size tires to use it. 3.25-19 front and 4.00-18 rear, or the metric equivalents.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/12/2021 16:49
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

I have had a Reynolds Ride-Off center stand on my ‘78 all it’s life. I am curious because mine has an intermediate cross bar between the “legs”, and the springs are an entirely different arrangement than what I see in your picture. I wonder if yours is a Reynolds?  Perhaps the design was changed quite a bit between 78 and 82?

Tomorrow I will try to measure the height of my stand and post it here for comparison. 

btw, I use 100/90-19 up front and 120/90-18 in the rear. Koni shocks and Progressive fork springs. Pretty standard stuff.  That’s right, your front wheel is an 18 I think. 

Posted : 12/12/2021 21:10
John Griffin
(@john-griffin)
Topic starter

Thanks Richard

(The old tires on it are 3.25F and 4.00R; so correct, I believe)

Posted : 12/13/2021 19:47
John Griffin
(@john-griffin)
Topic starter

David,

Appreciate your note!

My bike has ancient Metzlers: 4.00 x 18 R and 3.25 x 19 F. Shopping for tires, believe I may end up with close to your sizes. Does the 120/90-18 clear the swingarm OK? (seems to be a lot of opinions about tire sizes floating about)

Also, I've studied pics of the Reynolds stands, and believe you're right - mine doesn't look the same. I'll take it off and see what's what when I get the bike on a lift early next year.

While doing homework, I see that Reynolds spec'ed different stands for the '81 and '82 RT's, as they apparently came with "Nivomat" (self leveling?) shocks. I'm wondering whether these shocks might have been shorter than the 13" CTC Koni's now on my bike. 

john

Posted : 12/13/2021 20:02
Richard W
(@wobbly)

@john-griffin Checking the shocks is a great idea. The OEM shock length is 340mm CTC (center-to-center). 

• 120/90 may be the widest tire the swing arm will accept. If you fit a 130, then you need to use axle spacers to distance the rear wheel toward the LH side... and it is not worth the trouble. 

• I mainly used Bridgestone S11 and Battlax tires and got about 10K miles from a set. Some brands like Michelin still offer the taller inch-sized tires, but the metric sizes seem to handle better. The Michelins were fabulous, but simply wore too fast for me.

• In a front tire what you want is a chunky cross-hatch tread pattern. Anything like the older "Rib" design, with parallel groves, will be steered by "rain groves" and other features in the road surface. 

• Remember you'll need to run a higher tire pressure with modern tires. So don't go by the old owner's manual pressures. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Richard W

Posted : 12/14/2021 17:35
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

Attached is a picture where I am measuring the height of my Reynolds stand. The tape measure is against the ground, and running parallel with the stand up to the mounting bolt. Looks like 10 to 10-1/8”. 

As I said, my suspension is pretty standard stuff.

The tires I have presently are Dunlop 404’s, which I like pretty well, and they are very reasonably priced.  They are very good at NOT being steered around by rain grooves, etc, which I appreciate. I believe I have axle spacer that makes a bit more room for the 120/90 rear tire. Clearance to the driveshaft housing is ample. It can be a struggle to get the wheel and tire out of the bike past the final drive. I usually let all the air out to make it easier. 

Posted : 12/14/2021 19:23
John Griffin
(@john-griffin)
Topic starter

Many thanks for tire tips!

(The tires mentioned are also in vogue with old Guzzi's (I have a '70 V7), which also have a tight drive tube clearance limitation)

David - appreciate the picture, and your measurement method. Confirming, the "mystery stand" on my bike looks quite different at the pivot as well.

I'll look forward to sorting it out at eye level on the lift in the new year. The pic will help enormously...

j

Posted : 12/15/2021 07:10
ray wilson
(@15295)
Estimable Member

I read that there were several different stands, depending on which bike you had. My R100S had one that only worked when i put ¾ plywood under it. Personally it was worthless to me and i got an OEM stand 

Posted : 12/15/2021 14:19
Richard W
(@wobbly)

The original intended use was for older riders to be able to load up baggage and passenger on the center stand with great stability, and then simply "ride off". While my copy worked flawlessly, its use was rather limited. It would not help you change a front or back tire for instance. And the OEM center stand was possibly tucked-up a little better for "sport touring" type riding.

Posted : 12/17/2021 06:09
John Griffin
(@john-griffin)
Topic starter

... intended use was for older riders...

I resemble that remark...

(I also have a Kaw C14 sport touring elephant, which is really hard to get on the centerstand, esp when loaded with luggage and gas.

In researching RT stands, seems like the BMW OE stand was not exactly loved either (and - read somewhere - the Reynolds stand was retrofitted by BMW for epic complainers...)

Posted : 12/18/2021 09:50

Advertisement

Scroll to top