Clear all

grease in swingarm?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Allen Mamet
(@allen-mamet)
Topic starter

I just removed the transmission from my 1990 r100gspd to get ready for a rebuild and decided to check the driveshaft.  this is my first airhead but have done complete rebuilds of old guzzis.  anywho, the driveshaft was completely encased in a dark green grease and the inside of the paralever swingarm had every square inch of the surface coated in the same green grease about a 1/4" thick. I this normal?

thx

Allen 

This topic was modified 2 years ago by Allen Mamet

Posted : 12/13/2021 18:54
Richard W
(@wobbly)

• HEIC file formats are NOT compatible with this website. PLEASE repost your photos in JPG format.

• The only "grease" is the L and R tapered roller bearings that act as the swing arm pivots. Those are lubed with a "needle nozzle" inserted into the bearing after the plastic cap is removed from either side. 

• The gearbox, drive shaft, AND final drive all use the same EP gear oil (in differing volumes as per the manual). Your shifting will improve and your final drive will run cooler IF you use synthetic gear oil. The drive shaft housing typically runs about 200cc and "splash lubricates" the U-joints and splines.

ALL 3 of these locations are changed annually (regardless of mileage) to help expel water that collects in these 3 cavities.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/14/2021 17:49
Allen Mamet
(@allen-mamet)
Topic starter

here the correct picture format 

Posted : 12/16/2021 10:51
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Thanks for the pic. Yep, that shouldn't be there. Someone may have been trying to lube the U-joint.

Posted : 12/18/2021 13:36
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

Is the 1990 r100gspd a paralever bike?  Do those have oil in the driveshaft?  I’ve never owned one. Just asking. 

Posted : 12/21/2021 19:06
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @4949

Is the 1990 r100gspd a paralever bike?  Do those have oil in the driveshaft?  I’ve never owned one. Just asking. 

That's correct. "Paralever" bikes don't have oil in the drive shaft housing.

But I don't think paralever showed up until the start of the Oil Head.

Posted : 12/21/2021 22:41
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

Looked at “Paralever” article on Largiader.com. Paralever rear suspension was introduced on the 1988 R80GS and R100GS. So, no oil (or gobs of grease) for this driveshaft. 

Posted : 12/22/2021 06:28
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Agreed. I mis-spoke.

Posted : 12/23/2021 07:03
Frank Jarrell
(@frankj)
Eminent Member

There looks to be a grease fitting on the U-joint? If so it is either aftermarket or modified. Which could be a good thing. The drive shaft is a weak point on the para-levers. The grease in there will attract dirt. I would clean it out. The slip joint does need to be lubed. I am not familiar enough with para-levers to say with what.

Here is a pretty good description of the difference between the para-levers and monolevers (actually all airheads except the para-lever)

< http://largiader.com/paralever/>

Posted : 01/11/2022 10:48

Advertisement

Scroll to top