Clear all

New to Airheads

5 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Paul Begley
(@18357)
Topic starter

I just joined the Airheads forum.  I'm new to Airheads but considering getting a project bike to work on (probably a year or so out from starting that project).  An Airhead seems like a great way to go.  Planning to learn as much as possible before I take the plunge. Not planning on a full restore but hoping to bring a worthy bike back to good operating condition.

I live in Baltimore and I've been riding for 40+ years.  I have reasonable mechanical skills and do my own work on my bikes.

Thanks

Paul

Posted : 01/24/2023 09:28
Mark Bartels reacted
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

Welcome. Airheads being "Simple by choice" make a good project. Parts are available and there is a lot of informatioñ on line. Check on local tech days-attend, watch and learn. Also they are a good social activity.

. Bob

Posted : 01/25/2023 05:31
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome from Georgia. You're very smart. After wasting time riding pretty much everything else, I re-discovered Airheads too late in my career to really, really enjoy them. I should have bought one of these bikes much earlier in my riding career. 

Airheads are designed to be owner maintained. You'll find a machine that was decades ahead of its time for reliability and ease of service. And one that's a shear delight to put endless miles on. After a lifetime of 35 mile rides, once I got an Airhead my typical "daily ride" was somewhere around 300+ miles. Everything about them is shear joy. (That being the case, you might want to start looking for property out in the hinterlands as your riding base. 'Joy rides' that start every time with an hour-long expressway ride simply to get to the enjoyable part can get very old.)

► First thing you'll want to do is contact your local Airhead Club director, what we call an "Air Marshal". Get on his contact list so you can attend the next "Tech Day". At the Tech Day you'll make some new local Airhead friends and they'll be working on some bikes. You can get a good taste of what's involved and all the local inside knowledge about who keeps the tools, which store has the best parts availability in your locale, etc, etc.

► Like a lot of Airheads, the bike you find may have sat for a long while. The following article contains a list of the top 80% of the trouble spots that repeatedly develop during storage. It may take a while to check all these, but you've got all winter and it makes a good "check list". If you have any questions, we're always here to help...

https://www.airheads.org/community/wrenching/new-owner-primer-tips-to-get-your-airhead-back-on-the-road/

Regards

This post was modified 1 year ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 01/25/2023 06:03
Curtis Henry
(@5542)

Welcome to the Airheads.

The Maryland Airmarshal is Tim Hille.

The BMW MOA Rally is in Virginia this year.  A good place to meet your fellow Airheads is at Aircentral at the rally.

Posted : 01/25/2023 06:42
Paul Begley
(@18357)
Topic starter

Thanks for the info guys. Looking forward to getting plugged in

Posted : 01/25/2023 09:06

Advertisement

Scroll to top