Clear all

1975 R60/6 won't start.

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Francis O Lynn
(@18660)
Topic starter

1975 R60/6 problem starting. Good battery, rebuilt starter, and new solenoid, etc. All lights are on, press the starter button, and nothing happens. No electricity goes to the starter, and the lights do not dim.  The problem appears to be in the starter or kill switch. How do I locate the specific situation and repair it?

Posted : 07/25/2023 13:13
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

Check the under gas tank starter solenoid relay, plug they get cruddy from time to time.  Spray some contact cleaner into the kill switch. 

If the plug is clean and the. spray doesn't work, you may need a solenoid.  Starters rarely go bad.  To test the relay check out Boxer two valve's video.   On how to trouble shoot the relay. St.

Beware! I do not suffer fools gladly! St.

Posted : 07/25/2023 13:48
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDsUKxwTIyM

Beware! I do not suffer fools gladly! St.

Posted : 07/25/2023 13:48
Richard W
(@wobbly)

► The starter system "safety interlock" is fairly complicated. Two likely sources that everyone overlooks are the...

Neutral switch on the bottom of the gearbox. The starter system needs the correct signal to know it's in neutral so that it's safe to start. Even if the switch is good, due to the abundance of water under the engine, the contacts could be corroded.

Clutch lever switch is another high-wear switch that needs to be in working condition. Every time you shift that switch gets actuated, and so the wear is 1000X more than the number of engine starts.

► You might also go over the entire electrical system and apply an anti-oxidation compound to ALL the electrical contacts, including switches, relays and fuses. Over the course of the last 40+ years these bikes were driven in all types of weather, plus being washed regularly, and water got into the terminals causing micro-corrosion which can/will inhibit electrical flow.

I'm not suggesting you do every connector at once, but rather make it a habit to apply a tiny amount of compound whenever you disconnect any electrical connection or replace an electrical item. If you are diligent in your maintenance, pretty much within a year you will have treated the entire bike. 

Such a compound is No-Ox-Id by Sanchem (link HERE) and it only takes a tiny amount on each contact. Pretty soon your lights will be brighter, your starter will turn over faster, and your horn will be louder. 

You may think of your bike as "only a couple of years old"... but how many 1975 cars did you see today ??? I'm just saying the ravages of time are real and you must do this type preventative maintenance on all Classic and Vintage vehicles. 

Hope this helps.

This post was modified 9 months ago 2 times by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/25/2023 18:29
John Young
(@john-young)
Trusted Member

This is the same advice Wobbly gave me about 3 years ago along with other help.

It's was the single most beneficial advice I received here when I was new. I purchased the Deoxit spray contact cleaner and the dielectric grease Richard recommends along with a pair of duckbill pliers and off I went. It has paid great dividends on my relationship with my airhead. I clean and apply on all electrical connectors religiously everytime. 

Occasionally Richard mentions his patience is a bit curt, however I can say that he patiently walked me through my electric system cleanup, then was instrumental in guiding me on carb rebuilding and tuning along with other procedures.

Sorry Richard, your going to have all the new guys seeking you out now.

We're lucky to have this forum and help that we get from men like Wobbly and others that five freely. 

Just my experience here. Very much worth the price of admission

John

Posted : 07/26/2023 20:23
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Also read....

https://www.airheads.org/community/my-airhead-needs-help/1978-r80-7-no-start-no-headlight-good-battery/#post-15268

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/31/2023 05:24

Advertisement

Scroll to top