Clear all

1977 R100/7 overhaul

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
David Morbach
(@chief-dave)
Topic starter

found a R100/7 in four boxes. 43000 mils original. Was running when owner began valve job but died before finishing. good condition and cylinders still have original stone marks. rings are sharp. clutch ok +/- drive shaft splines look good. wiring needs to be replaced (cracks in insulation) Lights, horn, starter worked. heads off couldn't run engine. Where do I start. Wiring? complete valve job? give to Salvation Army? I have two Haynes manuals for it. Just looking for guidance. New member to ABC

Posted : 06/22/2019 14:10
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome Aboard !

• The first order of business is to figure out why the heads were removed to begin with. These older heads will need service at ~150,000 miles, but as you can see, your engine is just barely "run in". So were they removed because he could afford the expensive service or because something was going wrong ?

It is MOST likely that the heads were removed simply to service the lower push rod tube seals, which harden with age and begin to leak. However, even for a first time novice this is a one day job. And, that doesn't begin to explain the other disassembly.

• I suppose that dreams of a "powder coated" frame set in, but the reality of disassembling the swing arm would surely stop most any novice mechanic.

• What you have is a high-desirable /7 model, so we can rule out Salvation Army and Goodwill, at least for the moment !

• Personally, if inspection reveals no other limiting reasons, I'd re-assemble exactly what you have. Ride it. Listen for internal issues not visible from the outside. The object of this is to go into this marriage with as low an investment as possible. Then as the old girl "proves" herself, you can start a slow process of updates and replacements. Conversely, if something (very rare and highly unlikely) like a bad crank shows up, you won't have thousands of dollars tied up in ignitions, fancy head work, and paint jobs.

Good luck. Probably 95% of these adventures turn out with very happy endings. Most of the BMWs of this era were highly prized and deeply cherished possessions. (You must remember, during this era, the /7 was light years ahead of all other brands.) Since the original owner refused to sell it even when gravely ill, I think the assumption we can start with is that this bike was simply "over-loved".

Continue to ask all your questions in this thread, use the vendors in the Airmail newsletter, and attend local "Tech Sessions" to pick up tricks and borrow tools as needed.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/22/2019 15:10
David Morbach
(@chief-dave)
Topic starter

thanks wobbly. The owner was second owner bought bike from California with 12,000 +/- miles. Loved the bike and keep maint/service records. was going to do a valve job and, as you mentioned, replace seals. cylinder walls look great as well a heads in general. Wiring is just worn out from weather. Bike also has luftmeister fairing. Shat splines are sharp and I will replace clutch plate as it is close to specs (Haynes manual) So, replace seals, clutch plate, wiring and ride until further notice?? sorry for late reply. needed to get some personal matters resolved. thank you very much for your advice.

Posted : 07/18/2019 13:52

Advertisement

Scroll to top