tubeless wire wheels for R80ST

13 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
13.8 K Views
Bud McIntire
(@15390)
Topic starter

I have an '83 R80ST, which I've ridden over 20,000 miles during the last two years. I love this bike, except for the tube-type tires/wheels. Does anyone know a source for tubeless wire wheels for this model? I'm told that later BMW wheels won't fit, so this means a custom wheel builder. Any assistance, guidance is appreciated.

Posted : 04/03/2017 20:44
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Could you explain the issue you're having ? Tubeless wheels have their own special set of issues. Yes you loose the cost and trouble of patching a tube, but you trade that for difficult bead breaking, sealing the beads, inability to hold air on a bent rim, etc, etc.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/05/2017 01:28
Bud McIntire
(@15390)
Topic starter

I take long(1-2 month) solo trips on my R80ST equipped with Hepco-Becker 'aluminum standard' panniers. Last summer I had a flat on the rear, and was fortuntely near enough to a BMW dealer to get it hauled there to replace the tube. They said that they had to remove the pannier rack, etc. to get the rear wheel off. Bottom line is that it cost me $225 and an overnight stay to have it fixed, when I could have plugged a tubeless tire, pumped it up and been back on the road in < an hour. Most of my riding is on back, two-lane paved roads with occasional gravel roads, meaning I'm rarely near a BMW(or other) motorcycle dealer. I'm also not that mechanically inclined to start taking off the wheels by the side of the road. Those are the reasons I'd like to find out if there are tubeless wheels available. The other observation is that, if tubeless tires weren't better, why has nearly the whole motorcycle(and tire) industry switched to them(notable exception is the new Honda Africa Twin). Thanks for any guidance. Bud

Posted : 04/05/2017 14:30
Richard W
(@wobbly)

In your case, tubeless tires may offer a benefit. Just be aware that it's a coin with 2 sides, and while you won't be buying tubes you will pay more for tire installation due to the increased difficulty.

If you can't find tubeless rims, you might look at flat-proofing liquid you install inside the inner tube. It's used a lot on lawn mowers and garden tractors. Typically those type liquids also work to balance the wheel too.

BTW, the move toward tubeless tires by the manufacturers was a financial decision based on lower production costs.

Posted : 04/05/2017 17:56
Bud McIntire
(@15390)
Topic starter

I'll have to see the 'kneeling' method done at a tech session before trying this myself. Sounds like a good way to dump the whole bike, which would be a real problem with the front wheel off. I also heard that putting a 2 x under the center stand will raise the bike up enough for the swing arm to go down enough to get the rear wheel off. Anybody heard of this?

Can anyone recommend a custom wheel builder who may be able to make up a set of tubeless wheels?

Thanks.

Posted : 04/07/2017 21:22
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

I've used the 2X under the center stand. Try it at home first. The Beemer shop have been able to change a tire without removing the rack.

Posted : 04/09/2017 20:57
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

I've used the 2X under the center stand. Try it at home first. The Beemer shop have been able to change a tire without removing the rack.

Posted : 04/09/2017 20:58
Bud McIntire
(@15390)
Topic starter

I have Hepco-Becker 'aluminum standard' panniers along with their rack, so it may be bigger than the stock BMW rack and bags. I'll try the 2 x 6 on a trial. I feel more comfortable with this than the idea of removing the front wheel and 'kneeling the bike' forward on the forks in order to raise the rear wheel. Bottom line is that I'd prefer to find a wheel shop that can build a custom set of tubeless wire wheels for my R80ST. Any clues on a source?
Thanks. Bud

Posted : 04/09/2017 21:17
Richard W
(@wobbly)

For my home shop I bought one of those Harbor Freight platform bike lifts. Besides having a place to lay all your tools and the ability to catch all the falling fasteners before they hit the floor, the lift has a removable panel under the rear wheel. With the lift fully raised and panel removed, the wheel is pulled off the splines and dropped straight down, through the exposed access hole, and rolled out from under the lift.

In this photo you can see an R75/6 getting a new rear tire. The panel is removed and the wheel in the foreground came off and out through the hole in the platform as described.

Image Here

Left muffler was removed for other purposes.

Posted : 04/10/2017 00:14
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I have an '83 R80ST, which I've ridden over 20,000 miles during the last two years. I love this bike, except for the tube-type tires/wheels. Does anyone know a source for tubeless wire wheels for this model?

Not sure how we got side tracked onto spoked wheels. Your bike came with cast "snowflake" mags, right ? Wouldn't it be simpler and more cost efficient to treat the mag wheels you have so that you could start using tubeless tires ? I know the common thinking is that you can't do that, but when I got my 1979 RT it was fitted with tubeless valve stems and tubeless tires !! I'm not sure what treatment was done, but it works. I'm on my 4th set of tires and 20,000 miles added in 18 months.

πŸ™‚

Posted : 04/10/2017 00:29
Steve Wike
(@steevo)
Trusted Member

The R80ST came with spoked wheels. It is the street version of the R80 GS

Posted : 04/10/2017 12:33
Bud McIntire
(@15390)
Topic starter

Nice stand. I'll check with Harbor Freight. My main concern is having to remove the rear wheel by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. If I can't get newer-style tubeless wire wheels, I'll just carry a 12" 2x6, a spare tube and a patch kit(just in case I pinch the tube!). FYI, ST's came with wire wheels standard, not the cast-type wheels. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and expertise.

Posted : 04/11/2017 16:07
Richard W
(@wobbly)

If you need to get some practice changing tires, then buy a nice set of tire tools and go stand around in any bike shop. You'll get all the practice you need !!

πŸ˜›

Posted : 04/14/2017 13:51

Advertisement

Scroll to top