Notifications
Clear all

1983 R80RT Flywheel replacement

22 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Yes that is correct. The RED wire is bringing power from the charging system. The heavy cable carries it the balance of the distance back to the battery.

Electrons aren't much impressed by the color of the insulation. 😛

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/24/2019 22:15
Peter Millar
(@ptmillar)
Topic starter

It works!!! I cleaned it up put everything back together and holy cow it started right up! I will post pictures from mountain passes as soon as I'm on them. Thanks again for all your help and advice. This is a great community to be a part of. Now to go out and RIDE!

Pete

Posted : 06/25/2019 09:04
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Well done! Enjoy your ride! The Airheads are always here.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 06/25/2019 21:53
Richard W
(@wobbly)

What is the need to replace the brake fluid? Bike was serviced and inspected and ready to ride for the season before all this.

1. Allow me to reverse the question. Since 3/4 of ALL motorcycles accidents are frontal, and since the front brakes are about 70% of your total stopping power, why would you NOT want to make sure the brakes are 100% ????

2. What makes you believe a "full service" covers replacement of the brake fluid ? Do you have the shop repair ticket and does it have a charge for brake fluid shown on it ??

It's plainly obvious that the bike has sat for a very long period at some point in its lifetime. On a bike with that type history that's new to me, I usually end up flushing the brake system in the beginning and doing a complete brake system bleed 2 more times within the first month or riding. That's because the heat of braking will typically loosen old fluids and contaminants up that would otherwise degrade the system.

But then, I'm a little OCD about staying accident-free.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/27/2019 08:56
Peter Millar
(@ptmillar)
Topic starter

1. Allow me to reverse the question. Since 3/4 of ALL motorcycles accidents are frontal, and since the front brakes are about 70% of your total stopping power, why would you NOT want to make sure the brakes are 100% ????

2. What makes you believe a "full service" covers replacement of the brake fluid ? Do you have the shop repair ticket and does it have a charge for brake fluid shown on it ??

It's plainly obvious that the bike has sat for a very long period at some point in its lifetime. On a bike with that type history that's new to me, I usually end up flushing the brake system in the beginning and doing a complete brake system bleed 2 more times within the first month or riding. That's because the heat of braking will typically loosen old fluids and contaminants up that would otherwise degrade the system.

But then, I'm a little OCD about staying accident-free.

I appreciate this advice. Thank you Wobbly. I was mostly wondering if something specific to the flywheel replacement directly necessitated a brake fluid change. I understand the need for safety. The bike was owned and ridden every season since 2001 by someone who I know and trust. He didn't perform his own maintenance but he never let the bike sit. I will to a thorough brake check this weekend.

Posted : 06/27/2019 20:15
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Here's the thing about brake fluid. It's cheap insurance to change your brake fluid because old brake fluid in a system turns into very expensive repairs. I bought a high mile R100/7 and it spotted my garage floor where it as parked the first year. Couldn't figure it out at first. Ended up having the master cylinder sleeved and buying a re-build kit. That was a couple of hundred dollars and several hours of my time to make it right. Go ahead and bleed fresh brake fluid in to your bike's brakes.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 06/27/2019 22:41
David Barnett
(@viejo)
Eminent Member

Welcome to the ABC! When you are replacing the speedo boot make sure you inspect the bolt holding the cable in place.... this is a very specialized little critter and you want to make sure it doesn't go astray. If you will look closely at the head of the bolt you will notice a small hole; this is to allow the transmission to vent to atmosphere in order to avoid an over-pressure situation in the gear box which could force gear oil past the seal and into the driveshaft tunnel. Make sure the hole is completely clean before you reinstall the bolt. Compressed air or just a piece of fine wire should do the trick.

I heartily second Wobbly's advice that you are now your bike's primary care giver. Almost all the folks wrenching in BMW shops these days are well qualified and well meaning..... and born after your bike was.

Posted : 08/16/2019 19:22
Page 2 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top