Stored '83 R100 RS needs some restorative TLC

140 Posts
8 Users
9 Likes
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

It does a little bit but looking at the back of each instrument there are 4 or 5 terminals. Looking at the wiring diagram they go to the 6 pin connector you mentioned and the voltmeter goes to each front signal light. Trying to find our which terminals lead where. 

Posted : 04/17/2023 05:57
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Great! Just started the carb rebuild last night and one of the screws for the butterfly snapped off. I'll take a stab at drilling it out but my guess is at least a new throttle shaft.

Posted : 04/18/2023 04:00
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @16813

It does a little bit but looking at the back of each instrument there are 4 or 5 terminals. Looking at the wiring diagram they go to the 6 pin connector you mentioned and the voltmeter goes to each front signal light. Trying to find our which terminals lead where. 

I believe there are only 3 terminals on the back of the Clock and Ammeter: Return ("Ground"), nighttime dash lamp illumination, and operation of the meter itself. If you have off-brand meters that there could be more.

I suggest you post some photos.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/18/2023 05:56
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

Screw is brass. I'd try to center punch and then drill from head side. Screw might come out. If the back side has not been deformed PO may have Locktited. Try heat. Good luck.

Posted : 04/18/2023 11:52
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Just about to start work, we'll see when I can get some time working on it again. I'll see if I can get the clock out, getting at the mounting nut is a bit tight. I'll try to get pics of the voltmeter and the clock. 

As for the screw I drilled it out but toasted the throttle shaft as expected, thankfully half cheap to replace. What I didn't know is the backs of the screws are peened. I was tipped of to file the back down before removal. I got the 2nd carb to go so only need the one replacement. 

Posted : 04/20/2023 14:20
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Ok, here are a couple of pics of the components.

voltmeter

Clock, the blue wire goes to the bulb and there is another wire connection on there too.

Posted : 04/22/2023 14:37
Richard W
(@wobbly)

It's like I said. Those look like after-market VDO gauges.

The top one is the Ammeter. The black device is the gauge lamp. Gray/Black is the lighting circuit power; Brown is the return. The device is operated by the Green/Black (which is clearly marked with a "+" sign), and it has an independent Return (proabably also clearly marked) since the body of the meter is made of insulating plastic. 

The bottom photo is the Clock. The gauge lamp is missing. The terminals to operate the clock are clearly marked on the body of the instrument. "GRD" is the Return; "1" is the Battery terminal, where I suggest a fuse be added.

Since you have the full fairing, I highly suggest you go buy the correct sub-harness (BMW #04 61 1 244 474 "Wiring Harness Trim") which will give you all the correct wire colors. Then add the fuse by plugging a fuse holder between the harness and the Clock, like this...

Posted : 04/23/2023 05:15
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Excellent, thank you for more clarification.

Just had a look at Bob's BMW. Holy crap that tiny wiring harness lists for $118!

This post was modified 11 months ago by Mike Buhler

Posted : 04/27/2023 06:56
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I think the one I burned up (by not having a clock fuse) was $80 from Max BMW. But that was 6-8 years ago.

Posted : 04/27/2023 07:57
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I talked to Bob's and they said those harnesses were not available anymore. I looked at the Max fiche and they are NA. 

This post was modified 11 months ago by Mike Buhler

Posted : 05/05/2023 12:46
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

New question. Anyone have any advice on adjusting throttle cables properly? When I was messing around before I pulled the carbs it almost seemed like they were too long. 

Posted : 05/05/2023 13:50
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I talked to Bob's and they said those harnesses were not available anymore. I looked at the Max fiche and they are NA. 

Did you ask Rick Jones at Motorrad Elektrik ??  http://motoelekt.com/about.htm

Posted : 05/06/2023 10:24
Richard W
(@wobbly)

New question. Anyone have any advice on adjusting throttle cables properly? When I was messing around before I pulled the carbs it almost seemed like they were too long. 

That's 2 separate issues....

• Adjustment is done at the carb end. With engine warm and a carb balancing instrument in place.

• Too long is dependent upon the width of handlebars, and corrected by ordering another set of cables.

Posted : 05/06/2023 10:29
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I didn't know about Motorrad Elektrik, I'll get in touch.

My guess is the cables are ok as that's what was on it. Just waiting on a new throttle shaft to finish up the carbs, Then I gen fire it up and get the other stuff sorted. 

Posted : 05/06/2023 10:33
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Rick has a wiring harness for me, that should make life easier. 

Posted : 05/09/2023 05:45
Page 4 / 10

Advertisement

Scroll to top